Like most of the Setesdals farms of its time, Nomeland reared and made use of horses, sheep and cattle for many hundreds of years. Harvesting grass and trees from nearby mountainous terrain was indispensible to the farm’s survival. The grass and trees were used as fertilizer to help the farm produce grain and potatoes.
Those farming days ended in 1967 and in the years to come a sole horse stood in the Nomeland barn. By 1993 the houses stood empty, only to be visited a few days during the summer.
The current owner lived at Nomeland from 1952 to 1961. In 2004 the municipality set aside 13 000 m2 of houses and farmland for restoration. Following this move by the municipality, the modern addition was built and the restoration of the house and larder began. With the exception of a few (outdoor) remaining touches, the project is finished.
The picture is taken from 1903 and shows, among others, the current owner’s grandfather, Olav T. Nomeland. Olav T. Nomeland was born in 1900 hundred.
In 1905, the loft was moved to the county museum in Kristiansand.
Vest-Agder fylkesmuseum (the county museum) has newer pictures of the loft and other Setesdal houses.
Located on the Nomeland Farm is an old gravesite, or more accurately a grave hill from the Viking period. The hill is the largest in Aust-Agder County with a circumference of 35 meters and 3.5 meters high. According to historians, the Valle region was once a large trading place.
Over the years, several objects were retrieved from the site, including two axes, a large bronze ring (in Norwegian a ringspenne)and tools such as grater, knife and a curved blade. A rather peculiar discovery came in 1849 when another axe and bronzed toilet trees of foreign origin were retrieved. Yet another exhibition revealed 39 bronze pearls and 21 plummet bob to weigh gold and silver. Other noteworthy artifacts included a German coin, an Anglo-Saxon and Danish- both from 1017 – 1023, and a Norwegian on which Olav Kyrre is engraved. (Source Jan Henning Larsen, Førhistorie i Valle kommune Setesdal.)
The Nomeland Church was once a bit further north of the farm (1.5 km). Now however, what remains of the once grand church are its ruins located south of the byggevaresenter (a local appliances store).
For those interested in Norwegian history, Bjørgulv Uppstad “the mighty” is said to have spent the early years of his life here until his parents moved to a farm in Uppstad.
Another famous man from Setesdal, Vonde-Asmund Rygnestad, chose his Setesdal bride among the women of Nomeland
The painter Adolph Tidemand painted the Nomeland farm, including its loft. A copy of the painting hangs in the kitchen and the original is on display at the Norwegian National Museum (Nasjonalmueet).
The Norwegian musician Søren Sverdrup Nomeland learned to play in the hearth-house. There is a CD available at Nomeland of him playing on the folkemussikkhalvtime; a Norwegian radio series dating back form 1931.